Sunday 25 March 2012

my thoughts are stars that i cannot fathom into constellations....or something like that

this post is totally unrelated to what my blog will be about (i say 'will be' because if you noticed, i haven't posted anything on here yet) but I'm in the mood to talk about this new book that i just discovered by John Green.

Now I tell myself, over, and over again that I will not purchase another John Green book! Why? because his writing is agonizing and devastating and just an emotional roller coaster. I after I read Looking For Alaska, I told myself, "Okay, it's not bad. It's quite lovely." An Abundance of Katherine's, however, did not receive that kind of positive feedback. I did not enjoy it at all. (This is not a hate post of John Green if you all are wondering, I just need to talk about what his books have made me feel.) Personally, I didnt get it. There was too much math in the book, and if you, just like me, did not spark as much interest in math or physics in school , will not really get why Colin has to relate EVERYTHING BACK TO GRAPH AND NUMBERS. No wonder the douche got dumped 12 times by Katherine's. Anyways, i'm getting carried away here; I don't want to talk about ABK but about something else.

I want to talk about Augustus Waters. To be honest, when i first picked up The Fault in Our Stars, I had no clue what it was about. I only picked it up because I saw it on the Chapters (Canadian book store website, that i might or might not check out regularly) website, I saw it was by John Green and well, curiosity got the best of me (AGAIN) and read the little summary. It is not a cancer book, (as John Green seemed to plainly say through his character, Hazel)  but a love story, of how two teens with enough problems to deal with, also have cancer. Well at lease Hazel does (I'M NOT SPOILING ANYTHING. GO BUY IT) and she's like any other normal teenager who whines about going somewhere, where she obviously doesn't want to go and going to places where she obviously can't. (for OBVIOUS reasons, of course) but she doesn't want you to feel bad for her. Because what's that going to get? (OBVIOUSLY not a cure for cancer.) And along the way, she meets this boy Augustus Waters (in first glace, I thought it was Walters, not Waters)  who is everything that I want to live the rest of my life with. (I'm in love with a fictional character. It wouldn't be the first time) He's charming and sweet, and smart (Intelligence is sexy, guys. And profitable) and just PERFECT. But, as all great John Green novels do, there is a downfall to this epic love story.

This book will make you wonder, what the fuck have I done with my life? (Excuse my language. I blame Drake) What mark will I leave in this world when i'm gone? Am i even able to leave one? Will i be loved or just love? It's the questions that scare the shit (Drake) out of teenagers like myself. All I know is (insert cliché quote here)

All in all, my faith (and daddy's money) has been restored in John Green novels and The Fault in Our Stars has quickly become one of my new favorites.

ps: I would of loved to have read An Imperial Affliction.

pss: To bad it doesn't exist.



No comments:

Post a Comment